As
far as I can see. White crosses. Not just white crosses, though. White grave
markers. Mostly crosses, but also the occasional Star of David. Most markers
had names, but also the occasional “HERE RESTS IN HONRED GLORY A COMRADE IN
ARMS KNOWN BUT TO GOD.”
Omaha
Beach is the stuff of movies and history classes. When people say, “I’m going
to visit Normandy,” the immediate response is, “Are you going to Omaha, Utah,
or both?” As we drive up to the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, Mirek,
our oh-so-qualified tour guide, announces that we are now on American soil, that
we have just entered the United States. This pronouncement is as unexpected as
the quietly spontaneous cheering from all of us on the bus.
Of
course, everyone wants to hit the beach first. The path leading down to the
sand is that deceptively easy walk that makes you wince inside thinking of
getting back up the hill. The students get to the beach ahead of me, and many
continue walking toward the water for the novelty of touching the Atlantic. Funny
thing, though, soon the twos and threes have given way to individuals wandering
around the beach. Friends who have been attached since February are now yards
apart, looking at the sand, staring out at the horizon. The water doesn’t hold a
fascination for me, Pacific Ocean snob that I am, but I walk toward it until
the sand’s texture changes under my feet.
And
then I turn around.
There.
That’s what gets me. The cliffs. Those damn cliffs. I haven’t seen Saving Private Ryan, having been warned
about the intensity of the opening sequence, but it doesn’t take a movie to
imagine those cliffs stuffed with guns. I take several pictures, trying to
capture what a soldier might have first seen, but hastily give up.
Walking
up the steep pathway, I focus on not stopping rather than what happened on the
beach. The emotional part is over anyway. Now it’s on to the Memorial and
Visitor Center, aesthetics I’ve seen a bunch of times before. I reach the top
of the bluff and with a last, quick look at the beach turn firmly away to get
my bearings. Signs give me a choice of whether to begin at the Visitor Center or
the Memorial complete with a 22-foot statue, reflecting pool, and The Garden of
the Missing. I decide to be ornery and choose neither. Instead, I wander in the
opposite direction, lured by well-kept grounds and the promise of open space.
Didn’t Mirek say there was a chapel somewhere around here? Manicured trees
block my view, so I’m not exactly sure where I am, but a few more steps will
bring me to an opening, and I should be able to see the chapel.
Crosses.
Grave markers really. As far as I can see.
| Total: 9,387 |
Another great and interesting posting. From a historical prospective I can visualize what happened on the beaches on D Day and then facing those cliffs. Thank you Susan for this entertaining blog. Aloha. Mom and Dad
ReplyDeleteYou both are the best. Love, Susan
ReplyDeleteSusan! Love your blog. It makes me want to come visit you in Paris! WHICH, I can do! Cheap flights into Brussels will get me there quickly so your blog told me. I would love to plan a trip to see you and a little touch of home would be nice:)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Cat, do come, please! I'm here until April 28. Lynn and Curt arrive on April 18. We have plans for Loire Valley the first weekend, but week of 4/24 on we can be one big happy family. Can you get off during the week? Can't imagine how fun that would be for all of us (and I have enough room for everyone). Easter weekend also a possibility and my sisters are bringing me Easter candy, which I would love to share with you. Get your mom to give you my email address and we can continue this conversation. Love your blog, too, sweetie. So proud of you, and COME SEE ME!
ReplyDelete